There was no charge till 31 March 2022 for linking PAN with Aadhaar. The penalty for linking PAN with Aadhaar has started from April 1, 2022. From next month this penalty will be doubled.
If you have not linked your PAN with Aadhaar (PAN-Aadhaar Linking), then you should do this work as soon as possible. If you are lazy in doing this work now, then you will have to pay more fees for linking PAN-Aadhaar from next month. Although the last date for linking PAN with Aadhaar is March 31, 2023, but from July 1, double penalty will have to be paid for this work.
In March this year, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) had issued a notification. According to this notification, from April 1, 2022, the penalty for linking PAN with Aadhaar has started. Within the first three months after April 1, i.e. till June 30, a penalty of Rs 500 has to be paid for linking PAN with Aadhaar.
After this, a penalty of Rs 1000 will have to be paid for linking PAN with Aadhaar. This means that if someone does not do this work in this month, ie June, then he will have to pay double the penalty from July. There was no charge for linking PAN with Aadhaar till March 31, 2022.
Therefore, it is necessary to link
PAN card with Aadhaar, if PAN user is not able to do work like opening mutual fund, demat account, bank account because PAN card is necessary for these. If the PAN card is locked due to non-linking of Aadhar card and PAN card, then you will not be able to take advantage of any such facility where PAN card is mandatory.
How to link Aadhaar with PAN
- Visit the Income Tax e-filing portal https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/.
- If you have not already registered on this, then register first.
- Your PAN will be your User ID.
- Log in by entering User ID, Password and Date of Birth.
- By doing this a new window will open. This will be for linking Aadhaar with PAN.
- If this window does not open, go to ‘Profile Settings’ on the menu bar and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- As per PAN, details like name, date of birth and gender will be mentioned there already.
- Verify your Aadhaar and PAN card details.
- If the details entered here match, enter your Aadhaar number and click on “Link Now”.
- You will see a message that your Aadhaar has been successfully linked with your PAN.