You need internet connection to make payment through Google Pay, PhonePe, Paytm UPI as the transaction is online.
However, it is possible that you are in a place where internet connection is non-existent or very slow? In those situations it becomes almost impossible to do any transaction through UPI or any UPI app that supports it, but we have a trick that many of you might not be aware of. You can use UPI without internet. All you have to do is use the *99# USSD code on your phone’s dialer.
This *99# service was introduced in India for all mobile phone users including non-smartphone users. As long as you are part of the UPI ecosystem and the phone you are using for this, the registered phone number is linked to your UPI account. You can use *99# service and avail all UPI facilities. For smartphone users, this *99# is an emergency feature, which they can use if they do not have internet, for feature phone users, this is the only way they can access any UPI feature.
How to make UPI payment without internet
Before initiating UPI payments, you need to ensure that the phone number you have registered with UPI is linked to your bank account and also the phone number on which you are using the *99# service. are going to do.
1. Open the dialer on your phone and type *99#. Next tap on ‘Call’ button.
2. You will see a menu pop up with several options including one for sending money. Tap ‘1’ and then tap Send. Select the “Send Money” option.
3. Next, select the information you have from the person receiving the payment – type the number and then tap Send. Choose to whom you want to send money.
4. Enter the mobile number associated with the UPI account and tap on Send. Make sure you have typed the correct mobile number.
5. Enter the amount you want to send and then send.
6. Enter a comment for the payment in the pop up – it could explain why you are paying, for example – groceries.